I promised to share a recipe today. And I know it was one that I was supposed to cook and take pictures and all that hoopla. But that didn’t go as planned. Last night I realized I had the wrong seasoning mix for my fajitas and it only turned out subpar so I won’t share that recipe with you. But since I promised a recipe, here’s one that I totally plan on doing from readyseteat.com
Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet
Zucchini combined with black beans, fire roasted tomatoes and rice for an easy skillet meal
Hands On: 25 | Total: 30 | Makes: 4 servings (1-1/4 cups each)
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1-1/2 cups quartered lengthwise, sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 can (15 oz each) Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese.
4 servings (1-1/4 cups each) Calories 276; Total Fat 9 g (Saturated Fat 3 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 515 mg; Carbohydrate 37 g; (Dietary Fiber 7 g, Sugars 5 g); Protein 10 g; Percent Daily Values*: Vitamin A 17%; Vitamin C 38%; Calcium 17%; Iron 21%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This looks and sounds amazing. The only change I anticipate making is using olive oil instead of Canola oil, just because we keep olive oil at the house. This will probably be my recipe for next week. It has everything I look for in a recipe: CHEESE, low cal, high protein, easy and loaded with veggies! If you try this out before I do make sure to let me know how it comes.
But Happy Friday everyone! Finally.Have a good weekend but don’t over do it.