In exactly three hundred and sixty-five days, I will be 30.
In my opinion, that’s the first significant birthday of an adult woman’s life. I feel that’s the age when you always imagine you’d be settled. Marriage, career, kids, whatever you thought you’d achieve at this age. I am not excluded from that. I always thought by 30 I’d have the husband, kids, dog and house that I’ve always wanted. But the funny thing about life is some things you just can’t plan. That’s the lesson of my twenties… Shit happens. Some of it is good and some of it isn’t. Some things aren’t fair but the good thing about life is it keeps going.
I feel after your 20s you can’t live life with wreck less abandon. In my mind, I’m a very adventurous, cultured world traveler.
I told you a bit about wanting to live my life more carefree and emotion filled than ever before in my last post, but I didn’t share exactly what I had planned. So here’s my list of things I’ve always wanted to do and other things that I have yet to accomplish. I decided to leave off things that I feel are beyond my control such as a life partner and things like that because no matter how hard I try that is one thing that I can not plan.
Here are the things that I’ve already completed…
- Go natural (stop relaxing my hair)
- Complete a 5k race
- Buy a house
- Visibly dye my hair a different color
- Hiking, kayaking, Pilates, yoga
- Fire a gun
- Learn to swim
- Approach/ask out a guy
- Pay off credit card debt (about $7-9k)
- Work on my spirituality/ Get closer to God
- Cut my hair off (Accomplished Twice! J)
- Take a solo trip
- Mentor a child (This shouldn’t count, it was a bad match and didn’t last long)
- Speak up for myself (professionally)
- Live in a different state
- Host a dinner party
- Play matchmaker for a friend
- Let myself fall recklessly in love
- Conquer a fear
- Build a substantial savings
And here are the things I’m (mostly) still working on…
- Get my MBA
- Weigh under 200 pounds
- Start a business
- Travel internationally
- Travel to every state in the US
- Build a shelf, bench, etc
- Invest money
- PAY OFF CRDIT CARD DEBT AGAIN!!!! (AKA realize I have a spending problem)
- Listen to God
- Visit the mountains
- Purchase an original piece of art
- Grow a garden
- Write a book
- Join a church
- Run a complete 5k (jog)
- Watch Kobe play at Staples Center (Was originally watch Phil Jackson, but I let the opportunity pass me by when I was 16! A huge regret!)
- Bikini wax
- Buy an expensive pair of shoes— maybe I should scratch off 27 & 28!
- Learn to use a sewing machine
This list is compiled of some things I thought I’d always do and some recent additions. I’m pretty happy that about half are finished. There are quite a few that are pretty easy to accomplish and some that I may not quite get to in the next 365 days. I don’t think there’s time (or money) for me to travel to each state or write a book. And if you knew the balances on my credit cards you’d see that was impossible to do in a year as well.
I really believe I can handle a few of the others. I mean how hard is it to grow a garden??? Or at least a few plants! I have probably killed almost a dozen since I’ve been in my house. And I couldn’t be happier that I’m on track to graduate a few months after my 30th birthday so I’ll go ahead and scratch that off when the time comes, if the good Lord says the same.
And I have one more to add to my list that I can control… Fall in love with MYSELF. I have to stop being so harsh with myself. I was recently asked to name three things I love about myself and you have no idea how hard that was. Especially when the last one had to be something physical. It’s sad that I had to struggle to find just one thing I like about my physical features. I forgot what I settled on, I really didn’t mean it because I can’t even remember. But that’s all going to change. Challenge yourself… what are three things you love about yourself???? I really hope you have an easier time answering that question than I did because I bet you’re all pretty awesome!
So, please excuse me because I have a hefty list of things to try and accomplish in the next year as well as a birthday to celebrate today! And I’m incorporating fitness into my weekend. I can’t wait to tell you all about it. Have a great and active weekend!